Monday, September 20, 2010

Childhood Classics

We've been having a nursery rhyme revival around our house lately. We have several collections of nursery rhymes and songs, but I realized recently they're all in Slovak or Czech, and I just tend to sing the same half-dozen or so songs in English that I've managed to retain the words to over the years...

So I set out to rediscover some classics - especially rhymes - that I've forgotten about in the mumble mumble years since I learned them. I didn't get more than a line or two into anything before having to hit up my trusty friend Google. With the computer to back up my rusty memory, I introduced Baby K to Jack and Jill, Hickory Dickory Dock, Georgie Porgie...and as predicted, she loves them all!

When I finish one, she encourages me, "Another one! Try again!" When one strikes her fancy, she asks me to repeat it several times until she can sing or chant along. I love how intently she watches my mouth while she's learning the words. She likes to act the rhymes out when possible, like jumping over an object on the floor every time I say "Jack be nimble, Jack be quick."

She can sing/say more of the Slovak ones that we sing, too. Her versions of "Prší prší" and "Varila myšička kašičku" are pretty recognizable. I really like how, even though she can't remember all of the (very similar sounding) words on the second one, her intonation is spot on: "tomu dala NA [lyžičku], tomu dala NA [vidličku]..." It sounds very Slovak. :)

---

Yesterday as we were getting ready, K asked me to "čes" her hair. "Mama česing me." "Apo no čes me." Česať means to brush (hair). This is totally the sort of mixing I accidentally do - like "čeking" for "waiting".

---

Not long til moving day now. Stuff gets packed up a week from today and we fly out a few days after that. Buying a few last-minute things we want to get before leaving England for good. Need to get fish and chips, I think. And order some Indian.

Mmmmmm...

2 comments:

  1. what a coincidence my daughter was introduced to a CD of nursery rhymes last week via a play-date ( I didn't grow up knowing any of the popular nursery rhymes, so I have been learning them as well) but she loves leeto lamb, leeto lamb. Isn't it a rewarding experience to see them fascinated by music?

    and enjoy that Indian food. we don't have any 'good' ethnic food here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm kind of thinking of ordering Indian again tonight... :)

    I love how involved in the music little kids get, and how they understand the words more and more over time. The misunderstandings are pretty funny too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails